Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Farwell to Blogs



I am not an an arrogant person, but when it comes to the study of history I think I know all. Looking at the historical knowledge of the average American, perhaps I have some reason to be confident. However, Socrates once said "The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing." When I started my goal to find 15-20 surprising historical facts over a period of 30 days, I thought it would be hard to find facts that I didn't know. The past 30 days have been very humbling for me. I discovered that finding facts i didn't know was easier than I anticipated.

Once upon a time I had a notion that I could find out "the truth" about history. Despite the fact that this can be like trying to explain Crime and Punishment to a two-year old, I still have this belief. My quest has opened mt eyes and made me want to continue searching for answers. Studying history is like pulling one those trick handkerchiefs which keep going and going. Like the person pulling the magic cloth, I will keep going until I reach the end. If that day never comes then I at least will have had fun trying.

Since my blog is now at an end, I will give a list of famous last words. You can decide their significance:

H. G. Wells: "Go away...I'm all right."

Indira Gahndi: "I don't mind if my life goes in the service of the nation. If I die today every drop of my blood will invigorate the nation."

Louis XIV: "Why are you weeping? Did you imagine that I was immortal?" (Noticing as he lay on his deathbed that his attendants were crying.)

Jesus Christ: Jesus, after a long morning of torture and a 3 hour lasting excruciating crucifixion, He first forgave his Roman enemies from the cross, saying: "Father forgive them, for they don’t know what they do!" Then he granted eternal life to a repentant thief that was crucified beside him, saying, "Today you shall be with me in Paradise" After the Father's Spirit left Him as He died for the sins of the world, he said, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me!" Then He said "It is finished!" and after He had cried out with a loud voice, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit"—He gave up the ghost!

The prophet Mohammed: "O Allah! Pardon my sins. Yes, I come."

Buddha: "Behold, O monks, this is my last advice to you. All component things in the world are changeable. They are not lasting. Work hard to gain your own salvation. Do your best."

Voltaire: A priest was summoned as the French essayist and philosopher lay on his deathbed. The priest asked that Voltaire renounce Satan, to which he responded, "Now, now my dear man, this is no time to make new enemies."

Karl Marx: "Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!" The German economist, philosopher, and revolutionary responding to his housekeeper when asked if he had any last words

Pancho Villa, Mexican revolutionary: "Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

No comments:

Post a Comment